Job promotions are not something that happens all of a sudden. Getting promoted is not only about your growth but it is equally proportional to the benefits an organization expects you to deliver for them. In short to expect a promotion one has to prove his abilities and capability as an individual or in other words be an efficient employee.
In order to achieve the status of an efficient employee one must keep the following things in mind:
· Ensure that you do your job well within the time and at desired quality levels. Meeting deadlines is one factor that determines you are capable and shows your competence for the role.
· Master your job: make sure you know the current job you are on as well as the back of your hand. Be an expert.
· Try and keep yourself away from workplace politics and gossips. Having said that, sometimes it can be beneficial to be involved in the workplace politics because it will give you more insight, so the key is to be selective and know when to be involved.
· Be a good listener, this will always help you to enhance your working capabilities. This advice is often overlooked, but listening is a key part of any job because it gives you a clear understanding of your role and if you work in a team environment, listening is absolutely essential.
· Have a positive approach towards responsibilities delegated on you. Do not avoid it unless you feel you are not able to do it. If this is the case then explain fully to your superior why.
· Always try and do a bit extra then what you have been asked to do while strictly keeping in mind the work done is acceptable and useful to the company. This is the best method of winning the approval of your manager.
· Look presentable: Although it may sound strange that how the way you look has an impact on your working capacities but it definitely changes the way a person perceives you. If the dress code where your work normally represents wearing shirt and tie, do not try to stand out in the crowd by wearing a T-shirt and pair of jeans.
· Patience is required in some instances where after meeting all the above points a promotion is not secured, hang on in there. However, be on the look out for more advanced roles in other similar firms instead of waiting an eternity. But, do keep plugging away in the same job in the meantime. There is nothing worse than leaving a job to look for another. You may find yourself unemployed for longer than you envisaged.
· Continuously keep upgrading your skill rapid changes in technology and management approaches it's absolutely necessary for an employee to upgrade continuously to enable him to perform well as well as keep his chances for a promotion alive.